Headache caused by and occurring within 3 hours after an epileptic seizure, and remitting spontaneously within 72 hours after seizure termination.
- Any headache fulfilling criterion C
- The patient has recently had a partial or generalized epileptic seizure
- Evidence of causation demonstrated by both of the following:
- headache has developed within 3 hours after the epileptic seizure has terminated
- headache has resolved within 72 hours after the epileptic seizure has terminated
- Not better accounted for by another ICHD-3 diagnosis.
7.6.2 Post-ictal headache occurs in over 40% of patients with either temporal lobe epilepsy or frontal lobe epilepsy and in up to 60% of patients with occipital lobe epilepsy. It occurs more frequently after generalized tonic-clonic seizures than other seizure types.