- Recurrent headache fulfilling criterion C
- A course of electroconvulsive therapy (ECT) has been given
- Evidence of causation demonstrated by all of the following:
- headache has developed after ≥50% of ECT sessions
- each headache has developed within 4 hours after ECT
- each headache has resolved within 72 hours after ECT
- Not better accounted for by another ICHD-3 diagnosis.
Clear descriptions of headache associated with electroconvulsive therapy are sparse. In a single-blind comparator trial of eletriptan and paracetamol, 20 of 72 patients (28%) complained of headaches, but these were not well characterized (only location and quality of pain were assessed).
Published data are not adequate to define A7.6.3 Post-electroconvulsive therapy (ECT) headache operationally and there have been no validation studies of these proposed criteria since ICHD-3 beta was published.