Headache of more than 3 months’ duration caused by whiplash.
- Any headache fulfilling criteria C and D
- Whiplash1, associated at the time with neck pain and/or headache, has occurred
- Headache developed within 7 days after the whiplash
- Headache persists for >3 months after its onset
- Not better accounted for by another ICHD-3 diagnosis2.
- Whiplash is defined as sudden and inadequately restrained acceleration/deceleration movements of the head with flexion/extension of the neck. Whiplash may occur after either high or low impact forces.
- When headache following whiplash becomes persistent, the possibility of 8.2 Medication-overuse headache needs to be considered.